Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Old 'Olive Oil for a Dry Scalp' Trick


Yep, winter is most definitely here now and I know this more than most people because my dry, eczema prone skin has started screaming it at me loud and clear the past couple of weeks.

One of the worst things I find during winter is when my scalp starts to dry out and get really itchy and irritated. Usually I crank up the use of hair masks and start to leave my conditioner on a little longer than usual but nothing ever really eases it completely until the weather starts to warm up again and I stop being surrounded by so much artificial heating.

A few weeks ago my poor three year old son started having issues with his scalp and being the protective mother bear that I am I couldn't let him go through the same thing that I do every year so I went to our local pharmacy and asked what I could do to help him. Much to my surprise the pharmacist suggested using olive oil on his scalp as a pre-wash treatment rather than some other medicated product so back home I went to raid my pantry and give it a go.

And surprise, surprise, after applying pure olive oil to his scalp for three nights in a row, leaving it to work its magic for around 10 minutes each time while he played in the bath, then washing it out with his regular baby shampoo, his scalp wasn't itchy or irritated looking at all anymore and his hair was so silky and soft!

So, being in a bit of a desperate position with my own itchy head I decided to have a go at using some olive oil on myself as well one night. I poured a large palm-full into my hand then massaged it into my scalp for a couple of minutes. I then did all of the usual stuff in the shower while it worked its magic for a few minutes, every now and then massaging the oil in a little more and distributing some of it towards the ends of my hair as it heated up with the steam in the shower. After I was done I massaged some shampoo in and rinsed it all out and applied my usual conditioner.

I can't believe the difference I noticed pretty much as soon as I stepped out of the shower. My scalp almost breathed a sigh of relief and felt soothed for the first time in weeks. Once my hair dried there didn't seem to be any noticeable oily residue and my frizzy, curly hair even seemed to be much smoother and more manageable.

Seriously, this is like the discovery of the year for me. Since trying out this miracle treatment a few times my scalp has never felt better and my hair is now so soft. I've since done a bit more research and found the following facts about olive oil that may be of interest to some of you:



  • Olive oil is full of antioxidants that help to keep your scalp in better shape. It also contains other nutrients like vitamins A and E that reduce the damage done by hair care products (chemical based) or overuse of styling products.
  • It contains mono-unsaturated fatty acids which help to coat the shaft of your hair and keep it healthy and protected. It coats the damaged outer layer of the hair and gives silky, shiny, smoother, healthier hair.
  • It acts as a natural moisturiser when applied on the scalp and reduces the appearance of dandruff by preventing a dry and flaky scalp. It contains vitamin E which is super moisturising.
  • It contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that fight against common scalp and hair problems like dandruff, head lice, etc.
  • The scalp will be much cleaner after performing an olive oil treatment as it contains polyphenols (a water-soluble substance). It also helps to smooth out dry and frizzy hair without the buildup of greasiness.
  • Olive oil makes lifeless and damaged hair manageable and easier to style. It softens your hair and makes it pliable by adding extra moisture and strength to your hair. 
So there you have it. If you didn't already know about this miracle (and super affordable!) treatment and also suffer from any form of dry, itchy scalp I definitely recommend you give it a try. My son and I are so much happier for it :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...